Objective: Children explore the properties of magnets and experiment with magnetic fields.
- iron shavings in a clear sealed container
- steel marbles or BB’s
- construction paper
- shallow box or tray large enough for a piece of construction paper
- magnetic and nonmagnetic items
- two large containers for sorting magnetic and nonmagnetic items.
- Magnets attract objects made with iron, and they have two poles, a north pole and a south pole.
- The opposite poles of magnets will attract each other, while the like poles will repel. Demonstrate this concept with two magnets
- Magnets can pull through air, but some can also pull through solids and liquids. Demonstrate this concept by having a magnetic item be attracted through a piece of paper.
- A magnetic field is the area around the magnet where it can attract or repel things. A magnet will affect a magnetic object only…
View original post 149 more words